Monday, January 8, 2007

Growing too fast

I can't believe how much the kids are growing. Today I was on the computer just to print out two things. When I looked over at my stairs Tristan had crawled up three stairs! At first it didn't register but luckily it didn't take me long to remember that he shouldn't be there. Kennedy was at the top and I think he was trying to get to her.

Tristan likes to be where Kennedy is, doing what Kennedy is doing. He has never played much with the baby toys Kennedy used to love. He likes to play with Kennedy's toys, dolls, crayons, blocks, etc. I don't mind but Kennedy would rather he did something else.

For the past few weeks Kennedy has been practicing getting herself dressed. I didn't realize how much she was doing this until I did laundry and had four loads to do. I couldn't figure out what was going on since I had just done laundry three days before. When I folded the laundry Kennedy had all her pajamas, 10 pair of socks, and about that many pair of underwear in the wash. Each night she has been undressing herself down to nothing and putting on fresh underwear, pajamas and socks. Then in the morning a new pair of underwear, clothes and a new pair of socks. She loves being independent from mom and dad.

I have been taking Kennedy to Little Gym for the past 18 weeks for a gymnastics class. I thought it would be a good thing for her to do for exercise but she has learned more than I realized. Tonight she got on the balance beam and walked across all by herself. I was so proud of her. At the beginning of the class Teacher Kim told the parents that the children would be able to do that by the end of class but I was sceptical.

We had a guest stay at our home last night. He was interviewing for a residency in Chris's department. He graduated from BYU too so Chris invited him to stay at our house. Kennedy loves having company and made him feel welcome. I got her ready for bed and we knelt down for prayers. I wanted her to say them by herself so we talked about some things she could say in the prayer like that she was thankful for mom and dad and ask for health, etc. the usual things. When she said the prayer she said that she was thankful that her friend could spend the night here. I thought it was cute. She did the whole prayer by herself too which was really good.

I have to remind myself sometimes that these little moments are going too quickly. I try to slow down and appreciate them and appreciate the stages my children are going through. When Kennedy was a baby I found myself wishing her to be older and doing the next thing. Today I am content with where both of my kids are.

No comments: