Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Gift Nobody Wants

Yesterday started off to be a pretty good day. After Tristan's morning nap I got the kids ready to go to the library. I had to get some books for preschool, which I was supposed to teach today. We had a good time at the library and came home for some lunch. I was surprised when I heard the garage door at 1:00 p.m. Was Chris home for the day? Yeah!
As soon as Chris walked in the door I could tell something was wrong. He said that indeed he felt sick. For Chris to leave work he has to be pretty sick. He immediately went upstairs to bed. I finished feeding the kids and put them down for a nap and continued to work on my preschool lesson.
At 2:30 Tristan woke up from his nap. I was hoping he would have a much longer nap since he hasn't been sleeping well at night. I let him cry for a few minutes and it was evident that he was not going back to sleep. I also didn't want him to wake up Chris or Kennedy. I picked him up out of his crib and put a blanket on him. I rocked him for a minute and then it happened--green peas all down my front, all over the blanket and on the floor! This was no spit-up.
I got us both cleaned up and into clean clothes and went downstairs. Tristan was playing on the toy kitchen and it happened again! Poor little guy was so upset. I got him cleaned up again and could tell he was still tired. I put him back in the crib and he fell right to sleep.
Meanwhile, Kennedy woke up from her nap and complained that her tummy hurt. She seemed to be OK but I knew she wasn't making things up because she had complained earlier before Chris got home from work.
After Tristan woke up again I changed his diaper and he had diarrhea. Between the four of us we generated enough dirty clothes to do two loads of laundry--I had just done laundry the day before.
Just before bed Kennedy vomited too. I cancelled preschool and for the rest of the night cleaned up and made sure everyone was comfortable. Since I was still feeling OK I opted to sleep in the spare bed.
This is how the rest of the night went:
11:45 KENNEDY-out of bed
12:05 KENNEDY-crying-went in to see what was wrong and she had vomited into the bucket I put by her bed.
3:15 TRISTAN-crying-went in and hugged him and put him back in the crib
4:15 KENNEDY-sick again
5:15 TRISTAN-crying-this time I nursed him and he also had a dirty diaper
6:15 KENNEDY-awake for the day
Fun stuff this motherhood thing! Everyone seems to be on the mend today. Moods have improved and I've only had do clean up diaper messes--so far. Now, who's going to take care of me when I get it?


andrea said...

I just found your blog. I'm a friend of Lucy's. So sorry that your family is sick. Nothing is worse. I LOVE your quote from President Hinkley.

Alison said...

We had a night like that this week, too. Only Megyn, but the cleaning up bit was enough to make me want to join her.

Lucy said...

Ugh. What a nightmare Christi. And with a sick husband too. I can't think of a worse situation. Hopefully it'll be a 24 hour thing and it will magically skip over you. Here's to a better night tonight.