Thursday, February 1, 2007

Slow Down!

Two days ago I posted "100 Things About Me". One of the things I wrote was that I had never had a traffic ticket. That was true until last night!
Wednesday night is the night I meet with my quilting friends. It's something I look forward to every week. Last night was no exception. However, the events that occurred before I actually got to quilting were quite unsettling.
I started off the day by touring a preschool in Durham where I want Kennedy to go next year. While I was there with my two kids I had a handyman at my house painting and fixing some things that needed to be done. That was all uneventful.
Tristan fell asleep in the car on the way home from the preschool and I put him down thinking he would take his usual 45-minute nap. He slept for 2 hours! He woke up just in time for lunch and then it was Kennedy's turn for a nap. Just as she woke up Tristan was ready for another nap. All the while I was still trying to clean around the house--two days until listing!
At about 4:30 I received a phone call from a realtor in my realtor's office saying that she knew my house wasn't officially on the market yet but she had some clients who were coming back to look at a house in our neighborhood and could they come by to see our house. I hung up the phone and called Chris at work and asked him to come home. The people would be there at 6:00 so I didn't have much time to pull things together. I started cleaning as fast as I could and when Chris got home we both put our shoulder to the wheel. We just put the vacuum away when the doorbell rang. We let them in then walked over to Wendy's for dinner so they could have some privacy.
By the time we got home it was time to put the kids to bed. I had to run to Home Depot before I went to quilting at 8:00. My friend who hosted lives in Cary which is about a 25-minute drive from my house. Our Home Depot is in the opposite direction so I got online and looked up the address of the Home Depot in Cary and did Mapquests to Home Depot and then to my friend's house. By the time I got out the door it was already 8:00. I wanted to finish a project at quilting so I was a little frustrated that I would have to take time to go to Home Depot.
I turned on the radio and headed down Highway 55--a dark, newly finished (almost), four-lane highway. I saw the posted signs (Work Zone 50) but all the barrels were completely off the road and it was so dark and late I had no idea that a Cary policeman would be hiding out waiting for me.
I normally don't speed--that much. But last night I had a lot going through my mind and I guess my foot got a little heavy. I was just thinking--"wouldn't that be ironic if I got a speeding ticket two days after I wrote that post?" when I saw the blue lights flashing.
I was going 16 miles over the speed limit! I didn't get just a normal speeding ticket. I have to go to court or they will arrest me!
This was a big wake-up call for me to slow down. Not just on the road but in general. Today I slowed down a lot. It did some cleaning but I also took a much-needed nap. I feel a lot better!


Mary said...

I can't believe you got a speeding ticket after all these years. Believe me, it can happen when you least expect it.

Lucy said...

That's kind of funny. I'm glad that you didn't get hurt or anything but I've never considered you reckless! Was it your alter ego? I wonder what other jinxes you created?:)