Friday, February 9, 2007

I'd Rather Be Quilting

In this part of North Carolina people are not divided by religion, race or sex as much as they are divided by the color blue. There are two colors of blue here, Carolina Blue and Duke Blue. It's amazing how people automatically congregate according to which blue is preferred. I honestly have felt out of place in some circles just because our household is Duke Blue!
My quilting group typically meets on Wednesday nights. This group of girls I meet with are hard-core quilters. There is not much that keeps us from gathering on Wednesday nights--call it therapy. We take turns hosting and providing the treat. We usually end up sewing, chatting, eating, etc. until about 11:30 p.m.
This week was my turn to host. Usually I have a recipe in mind of something new I want to try but since I have been so busy keeping my house looking clean for showing I went with an old standby, Chicago Chocolate Cinnamon Cake (recipe follows). I like it served when it's still kind of warm with a scoop of ice cream.
Anyway, 8:00 p.m. came and no knocks at the door. I wasn't worried. Most people have at least 2 or 3 kids to put to bed so it's usually 8:30 by the time most people can leave home. At last 9:00 came, time for the "Big Game" to start--yes, Duke vs. University of North Carolina and still no quilting friends. Chris served himself a big piece of cake and I started thinking my friends had abandoned me. Sure enough, they were all home watching the game. I can't believe it! I would much rather be quilting that watching a basketball game.
As a side note, I finished a queen-size quilt for my brother-in-law who is getting married in March. It feels good to be productive! (Not to mention I have been working on this quilt since August--that's a long time.)
It looks like we'll be eating chocolate cake for a week. . .

Chicago Chocolate Cinnamon Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 tsp salt

Glaze:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
6 Tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 cup chopped pecans, optional

Mix flour and sugar in large bowl. Bring 1 cup butter, 1/4 cup cocoa and water to a boil in saucepan. Pour over flour mixture and mix well. Add buttermilk, soda, cinnamon, one teaspoon vanilla, eggs and salt and mix well. Pour into greased and floured 9"x13" pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Bring 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup cocoa, milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla to a boil in saucepan; remove from heat. Add powdered sugar gradually, mixing until of spreading consistency. Stir in pecans, if desired. Pour over warm cake.

No comments: