Tuesday, December 19, 2006

My Birthday

I don't know if it's because my birthday is in December or if it's just that I'm getting older but every year my birthday seems more and more like any other day. As a kid I always felt so special on my birthday. I was always recognized at home, school and church by family, friends and teachers. I tried explaining to my three-year-old that "today is Mommy's birthday." She just gave me a blank stare.
Luckily my quilting friends were up to throwing a little celebration for me the night before at our quilting gathering. We had yummy food and a delicious cake from Mad Hatter's. I think it was something like a Cherries Jubilee cake. Our mission is to make our way through the list of cakes at this bakery. I don't think I have ever disliked a cake from there. Unfortunately, as I had been battling a virus all week I wasn't able to enjoy the food and fun as much as I would have if I could have been able to breathe.
My actual birthday was Thursday the 14th. I started the day off by teaching preschool. Then in the afternoon Chris and I went to a restaurant at the mall to meet with a financial planner. That evening we were invited to a friend's home in Hillsboro for dinner. Our friend lives in a neighborhood we have considered buying a home in. They had a son Kennedy's age and a daughter just a few years older. They made fajitas on the grill as well as some yummy baby back ribs. I took the dessert, chocolate trifle. This time I added chopped-up Peppermint Patties instead of the usual Skor toffee to make it a little more festive. We had a really good time.
All in all my birthday was a busy day. Chris told me "happy birthday" many times throughout the day including at 3:20 a.m. as we were listening to Tristan cry in his crib (I was born at 3:20 a.m.). I did have a phone call from my parents that night and heard from all my siblings in the days to follow.

No comments: