Friday, January 5, 2007

The Gingerbread Man

I had Kennedy's preschool at our house yesterday. In September we started with a little mom's group. We take turns teaching, one month at time. There are four kids all together. We use the Funshine Express curriculum and it has been really fun. Each month a box comes with the lesson plans, enrichment activities and craft supplies. It even comes with handouts for the parents. I taught in December and decided I better do January too since we are planning to have our house on the market soon.
I had a lesson all ready for last Thursday before everyone got sick and I had to cancel school. I used the same lesson yesterday even though it was about holiday baking and the New Year. I made gingerbread men for snacks. We put them in the oven and then read "The Gingerbread Man". In the story the gingerbread man escapes from the oven and calls to everyone who chases him, "Run, run as fast as you can. You can't catch me. I'm the Gingerbread Man." After we read the story I went to "check" on the gingerbread men in the oven while the kids sat on the couch. I moved the cookies to a plate and put them where the kids couldn't see. I told the kids, "oh, no! The gingerbread men are gone!" They came running into the kitchen and were surprised when the cookies were gone. They decided they better go look for them. While the kids were in the other room I put the plate on the table. They eventually found them and we enjoyed them with a nice glass of milk.

I made quiche for the first time this week. It turned out to be really good. I used up some of the leftover ham from our Christmas dinner. I am always on the lookout for recipes using ham. I only cook one once or twice a year but then there are enough leftovers to last two weeks. This recipe is a keeper.

No comments: